Due to the nature of our raw materials and finished goods, AWF is a tobacco and smoke-free environment.
Reports to: Vice President of Operations
American Wood Fibers (AWF), a rapidly growing manufacturer of consumer and industrial products sold to other manufacturers and to pet, agricultural and home heating markets, seeks a Raw Materials Buyer based at our Jamestown, CA facility. AWF manufactures at 11 locations spanning the nation, has 450+ employees, and generates over $100M in annual sales revenue.
The Raw Materials Buyer will be responsible for procuring raw material such as logs, sawdust, wood shavings, firewood and certain paper products as well as managing schedules and delivery, communicating lead times to the plants, selling off excess material when necessary and managing raw material database. Critical activities are identifying suppliers, negotiating and procuring material to obtain optimum quality, cost, terms, etc.
- Strategically develop new supply sources as necessary insuring quality requirements and product specifications are met.
- Coordinate company resources (Engineering, Production, Sales, QA/QC, and Maintenance) in the selection and qualification of new suppliers.
- Reduce total acquisition costs through effective supplier contract negotiations and cost improvement initiatives.
- Manage purchases to avoid excess and obsolete inventory.
- Take lead position in working through return to supplier issues with QA (rejections, damage, etc.).
- Maintain and update a list of critical inventories to be ordered on a regular basis to ensure availability.
- Bulk sales responsibility including maintaining proper inventory levels, relationships, and negotiating positive gross profit (GP).
- Log, Wood /Wood Fiber Raw Material purchasing experience preferred
- Minimum of three (3) years raw material buyer experience in a manufacturing environment, preferred
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience
- Strong computer skills including the ability to prepare spreadsheets and use Microsoft Office Suite (Word, Excel, Power Point and/or Access) to analyze data and trends
- Excellent planning and organizational skills, with the ability to balance raw material inventory with production and maintenance needs
- Highly motivated and results oriented
We offer a competitive package to include health, dental, vision and life insurance, plus profit bonus, paid time off and matching 401(k). AWF is an EEO employer.