Due to the nature of our raw materials and finished goods, AWF is a tobacco and smoke-free environment.
Reports to: Director of Employee Health & Safety/AWF Express
American Wood Fibers (AWF), a rapidly growing manufacturer of consumer and industrial products sold to other manufacturers and to pet, agricultural and home heating markets, seeks a Freight Coordinator in Columbia, MD. AWF manufactures at 11 locations spanning the nation, has approximately 450 employees, and generates over $100M in annual sales. The Freight Coordinator will help to improve company’s transportation management enterprise environment, by facilitating efficient communication between departments, monitoring shipping costs and improving efficiencies, ensuring shipment records are properly managed, and providing timely transportation support to AWF’s logistics operations.
Primary responsibilities to include, but not limited to the following:
- Analyzes route schedules or load plans, historical activity and customer/carrier trends in order to provide recommendations for improvements to routing efficiency and solution effectiveness
- Identify cost savings opportunities for the AWF locations via improvements to contract rates and carrier selections by examining current processes to implement and recommend improvements to drive out waste
- Working closely with the Raw Materials and Sales team using reoccurring analysis to identify opportunities to drive continuous cost savings initiatives including new supplier freight optimization
- Utilizes freight tools to proactively monitor and manage key performance indicators such as trailer utilization and fleet efficiencies
- Will assist in the Development and distribution of weekly customer metrics and customer performance reports.
- Will use freight system knowledge and discretion to coordinate internal customer requests and propose freight/logistics solutions
- Other projects and tasks as assigned
SKILLS & ABILITIES
- Ability to interact effectively in a team environment while simultaneously working independently on tasks/analysis with minimum supervision
- Candidate must possess computer skills to include: Excel, Microsoft Word, Outlook and PowerPoint, Transportation/freight related systems, Dispatch systems
- Demonstrates proven ability to learn and use necessary tools
- Required to: read; communicate verbally and/or in written form; remember and analyze certain information; and remember and understand certain instructions or guidelines.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee may be required to stand, walk, and sit. The employee is frequently required to use hands to touch, handle, and feel, and to reach with hands and arms. The associate must be able to occasionally lift and/or move up to 25lbs/12kg.
- Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and the ability to adjust focus.
- Dispatch Supply chain and logistics experience
- Strong written and oral communication skills; problem solving skills
- 2 – 4 year(s) of comparable work experience in the Manufacturing, Logistics, Supply Chain or Transportation industry
- Bachelor’s Degree preferred: Business Administration, Logistics & Supply Chain Management; Comparable combination of education and experience required
We offer a competitive package to include health, dental, vision and life insurance, plus profit bonus, paid time off and matching 401(k). AWF is an EEO employer.